Blog

Valentine’s Day Pet Hazards

Valentine’s Day is coming up quick. There are a few things for pet parents to be aware of as Cupid approaches. This lovers’ holiday can be a dangerous time for our animal companions! Below, a London, ON vet lists some Valentine’s Day dangers for pets.

Chocolate

This sweet treat is highly toxic to pets. The issue here is a substance called theobromine, which pets cannot metabolize. Even an ounce can poison a medium-sized pup! Some types of chocolate are more dangerous than others are, with dark chocolate being the most dangerous. However, all types of chocolate are poisonous to pets.

Flowers

A lovely Valentine’s Day bouquet can brighten up any room. However, many popular flowers are toxic to our furry companions. Lilies, for example, are extremely poisonous to cats. Other unsafe plants include begonias, tulips, daffodils, daisies, chrysanthemums, and oleanders. Roses are also an issue. They aren’t toxic, but they are still dangerous because of the thorns. You can find a full list of safe and unsafe plants at the ASPCA website here.

Candies

Hard candies often contain a substance called xylitol, which is toxic to pets. They are also a concern because they can be a choking hazard. Wrappers are an issue here as well. Keep the candy jar in a spot your furry pal can’t reach.

Wine

A bottle of good wine may be the perfect touch for a romantic dinner, but it’s definitely not safe for your furry friend. Don’t leave your drinks in spots where Fido or Fluffy could get into them.

Fire/Flames

Flames and pets are never a safe mix. Keep candles in high, secure places, well out of paws’ reach! If you have a fireplace, put a secure grate in front of it.

Stuffed Animals

As you’ve probably noticed, many of our canine buddies love playing with stuffed animals. Not only will Fido probably ruin your present, but he could also try to eat the stuffing or squeaker, which would be very dangerous. Plus, many stuffed animals have small parts, like button eyes, which are choking hazards.

Cards

Although not all cards are dangerous, you do need to be careful with the ones that light up or play music. These contain small batteries, which are definitely not something you want your pet eating!

Happy Valentine’s Day! Please contact us, your London, ON vet clinic, anytime. We are here to help!

Comments are closed.